UNM Online Credit Course
Curanderismo Part 2: Global Perspectives of Traditional Healing
This class is offered for UNM credit only. You must be a registered UNM student to take this course under one of the following sections: Graduate: LLSS 593 Undergraduate: LLSS 493, CCS 393, RELG 347, UHON 301, NATV 450
Implement modules illustrating the powerful cultural influences that Curanderismo has ingrained into its techniques and modalities. Such modules include the “Sacred Tobacco of Peru”, “Afro-Latino Healing through Music and Dance”, “Mayan Acupuncture”, “Afro-Cuban Healing”, and “Afro-Puerto Rican Healing Modalities”, among others. It is a unique and innovative course that will explore the cultural connections in traditions within traditional medicine across the globe and will provide information on the simple yet effective ways our ancestors utilized various methods to address different ailments. In all, this course will challenge you to compare and contrast different healing modalities and critically think about its impact on the community.
- Provide information on the history, traditions, rituals, herbs, and remedies of Curanderismo, a healing tradition of various cultures such as Latin American, Mexican, African, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Peruvian, Mayan, and Native American.
- Discuss the influences of traditional medicine from indigenous beliefs, rituals and herbal medications.
- Explain how traditional medicine has been valued throughout the generations.
- Compare different types of spiritual/energetic cleansings including tonalli and herbal smoke for healing.
- Address the diversity of traditional medicine through different cultures and age groups, outlining the inclusions and contributions of traditional medicine.
- Address the spiritual/energetic components by observing the importance of creating a sacred space and healing through traditional events (Day of the Dead).
- Explore different traditional hand-on healer techniques such as bonesetter (huesero), body adjustment, spinal alignment and their impact on bodies ailments.